Many homes on this page have been studied by an architect to determine their best use and to create draft rehabilitation plans. Look for “Architect’s report available” below.
The Talley House
126 Chestnut Street
Formerly numbered 406 Chestnut, this turreted Victorian could be the most outstanding home on the block. Beautiful carved front doors are among the most magnificent in Danville. Inside this one has been stripped to the studs, though the pocket doors remain in place and much of the trim has been retained. Outside, the porch roof has been completely rebuilt and the home recently painted. Next door to Michelle Bowers’ Sunshine Cottage – the Old House Life project house. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Booth-Wyatt House
142 Chestnut Street
Built in 1907 by Bettie A. Strother, “a married woman holding separate estate,” the property at 142 Chestnut Street (formerly numbered 422-424) was intended for the use of Mrs. Strother’s heirs and dependents. The interior has remnants of Art Nouveau Lincrusta wainscoting and wall treatments. The entrance has beveled glass sidelights and transom. The grand foyer features a three level stairway. The front parlor contains a fireplace with original cast iron trim and supports for a two level mantel. Behind this room is an additional parlor or study. The second floor has four bedrooms, two with fireplaces, and one bath. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Griggs-Booth House
808 Green Street
Built between 1873 and 1877, stabilization work on the turreted front porch, removal of a second story room addition over the porch, windows repaired or replaced, doors repaired, scraping to bare wood, and exterior painting has been completed. The original portion the home has a newer metal roof and has been stripped to the studs inside. A newer rear addition, about ten years old, is in unfinished drywall. Plumbing and electrical have been roughed in. In the early 1900s, the home was owned by a principle in the construction of the Danville and Western Railway, Henry J. Griggs. By 1920, it had passed to a local Five Forks grocer, Charles Robert Booth. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The James House
937-939 Green Street
The earliest transfer recorded was in 1891 from A.M. and F. M. Wheeler to William Diffendall, although an 1888 directory indicates that Dr. John James was living here. Dr. James, who practiced medicine for a time in Pittsylvania county, married Anna Maria Jones in 1876 and shortly thereafter moved to Danville to take up the tobacco trade. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home.
The Bendall House
217 Jefferson Avenue
Owner/agent: Held For Resale
Square Feet: 3,698 Lot: 8,456
Asking $50,000 Annual property tax: $435
With its exterior makeover completed, this three bay clapboard Italianate was constructed in 1899 by wealth tobacconist R.A. Bendall to showcase his success. The front porch still possesses its corbelled cornice, pierced brackets, and ornately-carved Eastlake double doors. The interior has few original features due to its conversion to four apartments in the 1940s. The top floor units have since been joined into an owner’s apartment which could be made livable very quickly. The architect recommends use of this structure as a duplex, though a single-family conversion or maintenance of the present layout is possible. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Lea House
238 Jefferson Avenue
This building was home to the Five Forks Beauty Shop for many years. The main floor has two parlors, dining room, kitchen, and bath. Upstairs are three or four bedrooms and a full bath. The home also has a full basement. A shared driveway leads to a two car shed. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
814-816 Pine Street
The two-story, clapboard double house anchors the lower section of Pine Street. Very unassuming in detail, the house was constructed in 1890. The porch appears to be of a later date, possibly when “Colonial Revival” was the rage. The “Belgium Block” porch column supports and the smooth wooden columns with Doric capitals seem to imply this. The porch entry has a simple dental molding running along the soffit with corbels flanking the gable end section of the roof. Extensive exterior repairs have been completed with rear shed removed. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The P. R. Jones House
815 Pine Street
This two story Folk Victorian with German siding is in the Five Forks area of the Old West End Historic District. The exterior is totally restored and structurally reconditioned. A new main electrical panel and some wiring is complete. In addition to a sunny sitting area on the landing, this second floor has two large bedrooms, both with fireplaces, and a full bath. The main floor includes a spacious foyer, half bath, and three large rooms that can be configured as living room / dining room / kitchen or as third bedroom / family room / eat-in kitchen. The living room has a fireplace with original tiles and overmantel, and the original chandelier. The dining room with fireplace has a large opening to the one-story kitchen providing a modern “open concept” feel.
The Harris-Altice House
817 Pine Street
This home recently received a new roof structure and shingles as well as a rebuilt porch. About the Rehab This one-story wood clad single family residence is in the Folk Victorian style. It features a front porch supported by square columns and gingerbread in its gables. This home was long occupied by a telegrapher for the steam railroad, with many other railroad employees as his neighbors.
Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Harvey House
819 Pine Street
Recently occupied and partially furnished, a small amount of work would make this property habitable. Large lot and side yard. Historically, this home was occupied by the Harvey family for about sixty years — into the 1980s.
Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Woodward-Davis House
820 Pine Street
The house at 820 Pine Street is a Folk Victorian style two-story dwelling with cement fiber siding, concrete masonry unit foundation and a metal roof over a wood frame structure. The house was built around 1890 and was recently used as a group home. To accommodate more tenants, the house was enlarged over the years. Removal of those additions and a return to a single-family use is recommended. The original, small two-story home includes two upstairs bedrooms. Roof replacement may be required. A large rear addition resembles a ranch-style home. This home was owned by the Pete Maurakis family from the late 1930s into the 1980s. Mr. Maurakis was the owner of a downtown café. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Moore House
841 Pine Street
This Folk Victorian cottage was once the home of the last surviving Confederate veteran in Danville, Mr. A. A. Moore, who lived here from the 1920s until his passing at age 93 in 1939. Built on a narrow lot, the building is in fair condition likely requiring full replacement of a rear addition with a failed beam and floor system. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.
The Longwell House
844 Pine Street
This American Foursquare two story residence metal siding and a metal roof over a brick foundation. Built before 1900, it was most recently used as a multi-unit dwelling. The removal of rear additions and a return to single-family use is recommended. Occupied by the Longwell family from the outset into the 1940s, son Eugene was an employee of the New York Times. Buyer must rehab and then reside in this home. Brokers protected.