H. W. Brown Florist is one of Danville’s oldest businessed. It was begun in 1883 by its namesake, Henry W. Brown. Born in England, Mr. Brown was once the head gardener at Studley Royal, the famous estate known for its landscaping and great variety of flowers. On coming to Danville, he began selling flowers from his residence at the corner of Chestnut and Green Streets. The floral business, now at 421 Chestnut Street, has remained a family concern. It is currently operated by Mr. Brown’s great grandson, Terry Shadrick.