Fixers No Report

The Talley House
126 Chestnut Street

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 2,310   Lot: 6,250
Asking: $46,000      Annual property tax: $57

Formerly numbered 406 Chestnut, this turreted Victorian could be the most outstanding home on the block.  Beautiful carved front doors are among the most magnificent in Danville.

Inside this one has been stripped to the studs, though the pocket doors remain in place and much of the trim has been retained. Outside, the porch roof has been completely rebuilt and the home recently painted.

Next door to Michelle Bowers’ Sunshine Cottage – the Old House Life project house.

Interior rehab and occupancy covenants required. Brokers protected.

Survey available      Ask a question / Make an offer




The Booth-Wyatt House
142 Chestnut Street

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 3,132   Lot: 6,250
Asking: $15,000      Annual property tax: $330

Built in 1907 by Bettie A. Strother, “a married woman holding separate estate,” the property at 142 Chestnut Street (formerly numbered 422-424) was intended for the use of Mrs. Strother’s heirs and dependents.

The interior has remnants of Art Nouveau Lincrusta wainscoting and wall treatments. The entrance has beveled glass sidelights and transom. The grand foyer features a three level stairway. The front parlor contains a fireplace with original cast iron trim and supports for a two level mantel. Behind this room is an additional parlor or study. The second floor has four bedrooms, two with fireplaces, and one bath.

Rehab and occupancy covenants required. Brokers protected.

Ask a question / Make an offer




The Green-Griggs House
875 Green Street

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 2,977   Lot: 9,400
Asking: $30,000      Annual property tax: $250

A rare survivor, this late-antebellum era house was built on the property of Dr. N. T. Green, one of Danville’s early physicians for whom the street was named. It was later owned by the Griggs family for 65 years. Even with a two-story addition in 1900, much of the early core on the right remains visible. The rear of the home has reminders of its early origins, especially its large teardrop-shaped brackets still hanging from the deep eaves.

Rehab and occupancy covenants required. Brokers protected.

Survey available      Ask a question / Make an offer



919-921 Green Street

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 4,050   Lot: 11,977
Asking: $15,000      Annual property tax: $400

This pre-1888 duplex was advertised for sale in 1963 for $9,500.

Rehab and occupancy covenants required. Brokers protected.

Survey available      Ask a question / Make an offer



The James House
937-939 Green Street

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 3,069   Lot: 6,048
Asking: $13,100      Annual property tax: $105

The earliest transfer recorded was in 1891 from A.M. and F. M. Wheeler to William Diffendall, although an 1888 directory indicates that Dr. John James was living here. Dr. James, who practiced medicine for a time in Pittsylvania county, married Anna Maria Jones in 1876 and shortly thereafter moved to Danville to take up the tobacco trade.

Ask a question / Make an offer



The Dr. Harrison House
507 Holbrook Avenue

Owner/agent:  Joan Daniels, Simpson Realty Co., 434-251-4256
Square Feet: 3,832   Lot: 9,000
Asking: $69,900      Annual property tax: $612

Situated at the corner of Holbrook Avenue and Colquhoun Street, this home was built for Dr. Isaac Carrington Harrison. Its location was no doubt selected for its proximity to his cousins, A.B. Carrington at 622 Holbrook Avenue and Mrs. William (Louise Cabell Carrington) Leigh at 614 Holbrook Avenue.  Occupied by members of the Gravely family since 1973, this home is now in need of repair.




The Lea House
238 Jefferson Avenue

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 2,374   Lot: 7,650
Asking: $29,500   Now $22,500    Annual property tax: $252

This building was home to the Five Forks Beauty Shop for many years. The main floor has two parlors, dining room, kitchen, and bath. Upstairs are three or four bedrooms and a full bath. The home also has a full basement. A shared driveway leads to a two car shed.

Rehab and occupancy covenants required. Brokers protected.

Survey available      Ask a question / Make an offer






122 Chestnut Street

SOLD

Back on the market. Early records show this house as the property of H. Burns Trundle, a newspaperman. In the 1960s and 1970s, it was the display home for interior decorator Eleanor Guerrant. According to a 1931 auction sale, the house is of brick veneer with a metal mansard roof, seven rooms with hardwood and heart pine flooring. Free-standing two-car garage included.


The Clarke House
218 Jefferson Avenue

Owner/agent:  Held For Resale
Square Feet: 4,632   Lot: 9,700 +/-
Asking: $35,000      Annual property tax: $279

For the millionaire who has everything except a grand brick Victorian mansion.  While in desperate need of roof repairs, this home has never been remuddled and has all of its original features.  Grand entrance doors, huge plaster medallions, pocket doors, fireplace surrounds and overmantles, large rooms and plenty of them.  This one is for the experienced rehabber who wants the best Victorian in the Old West End.

Rehab and occupancy covenants required. Brokers protected.

Ask a question / Make an offer




The Robert Ross House
225 Jefferson Avenue

SOLD

This antebellum Federal-style building is known historically as the Robert Ross House.  It was built as a single-family home about 1840 and later expanded to a duplex.  It became an elegant single-family home with Georgian Revival interiors in the teens or 1920s.  There are ten rooms and two full baths downstairs along with eight bedrooms and two full baths upstairs.  There is also a separate rear building with bedroom and bath.



241 Jefferson Avenue

SOLD

One of a picturesque row of similar structures, this home has been divided into up and down duplex apartments. Dating from the early to mid-1890s, this home was built on a portion of the homestead of Mr. W.S. Patton.  Presumably this home and its neighbors to the south were built as income property for Drs. Sumter and Franklin George. Both men were esteemed local physicians.