The active rehabilitation work in the Five Forks commercial area is continuing on the buildings that once housed Hagan’s Drug Store (later Central Pharmacy) and the West Piano Store at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Jefferson Street.
As some will recall, the entire row of buildings on lower Jefferson Avenue were at one time combined into a bakery complex. This began with the Community Bakery around 1927, followed by the Old Home Bakery in 1936, and then Holsum Bread in 1938.
The present work includes removal of exterior cladding, repairs to parapet walls, and a new roof structure with insulation board and rubber covering installed. The Virginia Housing and Development Authority supplied the City of Danville with grants to complete this exterior rehabilitation. These buildings will soon be ready for interior rehabilitation and occupancy.